Why hire an Architect or Interior Designer?
- Hiring a Design professional helps property owners to avoid costly mistakes and chaos when making design decisions for construction and/or purchasing interior finishes.
- As when going to consult a doctor, a design professional is trained to see and conceptualize the BIG picture, whereas the owner has only knowledge of the “symptoms ” and for our case his/her needs. More often than not, the property owner merely focus on individual issues/ materials/ colors, etc. This usually ends up with a “miss-match” or a feeling that the space, house or office is incomplete. A design professional will help to ensure that the space will not neglect consideration of space planning and layout, color, lighting, furniture dimensions, soft furnishings and other crucial details that complete the whole interior space. At Eolo A&I Design besides of taking care of all the above we will coordinate all for you
- Owners may feel the pinch when incurring cost on the professional fee. However, just imagine for a moment how much more you will have lost (in terms of money and time) when you make the wrong commitments due to inexperience in space planning, choosing fixtures and inaccurate measurements
- For a fraction of the cost of your property, is it not wise to leverage the knowledge and experience of those who know best and to free yourself to do the things that you do best?
- Design Matters! A good design truly improves the way you live. When you retain good design professionals like our team at Eolo A&I Design, you will rest assured that our attention to details ensure that your day to day will be a great experience
What is the difference between an interior designer and an interior decorator?
A professional interior designer is qualified by their academic education, certification, experience and own artistic abilities to enhance the function and quality of interior spaces. In general, the goals of such activity include improving quality of life, increasing productivity in the work place, and protecting the health, safety and welfare of the public.
Qualifications to address these goals or tasks are granted only from an accredited four-year school of higher learning and include a wide range of technical skills aimed at providing a full range of Interior Design services. Formal education include manual and CAD drafting, space planning, formulation of appropriate, functional, and aesthetic design concepts, knowledge of furniture history, furniture design, lighting calculations, ergonomics and business practices to name a few.
By contrast, persons holding titles such as a “home decorator”, lack the professional knowledge, expertise and accreditation, necessary to address design tasks in either residential or commercial spaces, therefore, are limited in the services they can offer using their “natural talent” only.
What does this mean to you? EOLO A&I DESIGN pledges to adhere to a strict code of ethics and to the highest standards in all engagements with our clients. When you hire us, you become the beneficiary of a wealth of knowledge, years of practical experience and innovative ideas that only a professional can offer.
How do I know if I need an Architect or Interior Designer?
If you have a specific aesthetic taste, desired interior style or a vision for your home or work environment, but lack the skills or the time to design and implement it into reality, look for professional help. If you need an objective eye or are simply overwhelmed by the number of choices for furniture, accessories, even colors and materials available in the marketplace, an experienced interior designer can help.
EOLO A&I DESIGN specializes in architecture and interior design for residential and commercial applications in a broad range of aesthetics and sensitivities. We are certain you’d be delighted with our expertise in enhancing both the aesthetics and efficiency of your property whether a small apartment, a spacious home or a busy workspace.
I have never worked with an architect or interior designer before. How does your firm work?
EOLO A&I DESIGN provides architecture, interior design, product and furniture design services for residential or business applications in a broad range of aesthetics and sensitivities.
Our commitment emphasizes impeccable style and exceptional experience in using the products or environments we design. We believe that not only does good design have the ability to enhance your life, but it is also a wise investment. Therefore, the design approach and solutions we offer are always sensitive to the needs and desires of the customers we serve and in context with the environment they live in. These solutions are created to maximize the return on investment in a short time and to benefit everyone involved.
We are flexible and happy to help with a one time consultation, or extensive, complex architecture or interior project of a large space. Our expertise can be used to enhance your existing work environment, or to create a new, more efficient and attractive one.
Our first step is to listen to your needs and vision for the space in mind. Listening will not stop at the end of our introductory meeting and will last for the duration of our engagement with your project. We will do our best to first understand your perspective of design, style and personal taste, then, consider them during our design process. Before we begin your project, we will discuss a plan that suites your needs, budget and time frame for completion. Furthermore, we will always welcome your involvement in the design process.
We take great pride in our work and always hold to open communication, trust and mutual respect as key values that guide our relationships with you, our client.
I am embarrassed to use design professionals for the possibility I will be judged for my personal aesthetic taste
We aim to create architecture and interiors you love to live in and spaces that reflect your distinctive taste, not ours! Understanding your aesthetic taste with regard to architecture, objects, furniture and space is a necessary and critical part of our design process. We aim to enhance the living or working environments of all our clients, and we take pride in our ability to create solutions that are tailored to your liking and budget. Furthermore, our design solutions focus not only on functional enhancement of your space, but on its aesthetic and emotional appeal as well; together, these attention areas add real value to you and your lifestyle, and result in a place you love to live or work in.
How to work with an Interior Designer
- Think about what your likes and dislikes are. Look through magazines or books and ear mark them. Have them ready to show the designer at the first consultation. This will give the designer YOUR personal taste so they can help you achieve exactly what YOU want
- Think about colors, styles and effects you like
- Know what you want to accomplish, what the room or house should do for you when finished
- Should it be formal or casual, traditional or contemporary?
- Know your objective and lifestyle needs
- Establish a time frame in which you would like to work
If doing an interior renovation consider the following:
- FOCUS: Within each room, pick one or two of your favorite pieces or room “elements.” These pieces may be furniture, lamps, artwork, rugs, or maybe it’s the wall color. Once you know what your focus will be for each room, you can begin adding complimentary pieces.
- It’s important to keep your rooms free from clutter. Keep the pieces that really mean something to you, and discard the rest.
- Go beyond your comfort level when putting pieces together. The idea is to create an environment where pieces complement each other, not necessarily match one another.
- FUNCTION: When planning each room, determine how the room is used. This will help determine furniture placement and where lighting would be best for individual activities and help determine just what is needed for the update.
- FRESHNESS: Keep your eyes open to new ideas of your own in stores, catalogs, art shows, or maybe something your neighbor or relative tried that you liked. There are a lot of creative ideas available and they are just waiting for you to bring them home.
- What are your goals for the space? What are your furniture and decorating needs? How many people will use this space? What activities will take place in this space? These are just a few of the questions we ask, then we listen actively and intently. By understanding your basic needs and desires, we begin the process of building a one-on-one relationship with you, one that we work to sustain throughout the design and building process. It’s how we succeed in bringing your dreams to reality.
What should I budget?
- Letting the designer know what you can afford will help achieve what you want to meet your budget. When the Designer has this information since the beginning of the process it helps to allocate the right vendors, suppliers and contractors to stay within datelines and budget. At EOLO A&I DESIGN we have specialized teams that address specific budget ranges
- For a new (empty) house or condominium you should calculate about 25% of its total purchase price
- For an existing space, consult an interior designer for a fair budget estimate
What should I ask at the first meeting?
- Ask to see the professional’s portfolio, but remember that the illustrations reflect other people’s tastes NOT the designer’s, and probably not your own
- Ask what size projects the interior designer has worked on, where, and what the budget range was
- Ask how the established budget will be handled, and the kind of payment schedules the designer requires
- Ask about the types of service the designer can provide
- Ask for a list of references
What is your Fee Schedule?
- We have a Designer Fee that we allocate for space planning, renderings, design concept, and working drawings
- We have a Purchase Management Fee that we allocate for purchases made on the client’s behalf
- We have an hourly fee that we allocate for work done outside the scope of work originally agreed upon with our clients. This fee helps to minimize impact in the budget when the work to be done does not justify an additional scope of work agreement.
Why do you charge for Purchases done on my behalf?
When a product, piece of furniture, or custom built-in piece is ordered through the Designer, there is a great deal of time spent on producing :
- Researching sources for materials or products
- Ask for vendors, suppliers, and contractors estimates
- Proposal for client approval
- Purchase orders for the approved proposals
- Initial Deposit payments to vendors, suppliers, and contractors to commence working on placed orders
- Ordering cuttings of fabrics, and wall-coverings from current stock for approval
- Ordering finish samples on wood, metal, colors going in any custom furniture piece or built-in
- Follow up on orders status
- When the product is ready, prepare and submit payment to providers
- Additionally, time is spent on coordinating deliveries and generally ensuring that the whole process runs smoothly until the item is delivered to the client. The Purchase Management Fee covers this entire process and assures the clients’ peace of mind..
What are the next steps after hiring an interior designer?
Once you have made the decision to hire an interior designer, the following steps usually take place:
- Letter of agreement: A contract is signed between the interior designer and the client stating what is to be completed and the fee schedule
- In-depth interview by interior designer with the client to determine lifestyle needs.
- Meeting with architect, if using one for this project
- Room by room list of items to be completed both for furniture and construction. Approval of list.
- Measure and photograph the room (or rooms).
- Design and drawing of floor plans showing new furniture with sizes; design custom pieces. Approval of plans
- Design and drawing of new cabinets for kitchen, bathroom, entertainment, closet, construction plans. Approval of plans.
- Lighting plan showing new lighting with specifications for contractor.
- If construction is a part of the plan, selection of all items that will be needed – floors, counters, faucets, fixtures, lights, doors, etc.
- Give construction plans to contractors for bids, if needed. (May be done by the architect).
- Review bids and assist in choosing a contractor. (May be done by the architect).
- Begin construction.
- Observation of construction.
- Interior designer shops for non-construction items – furniture, fabrics, rugs, wall coverings, and any other items that need to be purchased for the project.
- Presentation of furniture ideas, fabrics, and accessories to client.
- Shopping trip to see the furniture.
- Paint selection to go with the flooring and fabrics that have been selected.
- Approval of furniture, fabric, wallpaper, draperies, blinds, and prices, etc.
- Purchase items agreed upon
- Completion of work by contractors
- Carpet, furniture delivery, drapery installations, etc.
- Accessories added with approvals.
What are the Final Selections?
The Final Selections are color, furniture, lighting, flooring, wall coverings, window treatments, accessories, bringing all of these elements together, with your finalized plan, with an extensive supply of resources from around the world, we select the materials and finishes that best represent you
What does implementation mean?
During the Purchase Management Process, as soon as we have your approval for our proposals, we prepare purchase orders for required items and services. We select the best price from a variety of reputable sources. Although your interior was designed for construction efficiency, it’s no secret that building projects can be time-consuming and stressful. As your concept comes to life, count on us to assist you in managing contractors, architects (if hired separate from us) and building officials. On your behalf, we’ll work with all parties to ensure that your design is executed with the least amount of stress and hassles.
What is the meaning of "To The Trade"?
The phrase “To the Trade” means that Design Centers or Show Rooms distribute their products exclusively through the services of interior design professionals, rather than selling directly to the public.
Why should I seek the service of an architect or interior designer?
- Because their knowledge, expertise, and guidance can help prevent costly mistakes
- Because they know how to work with architects and contractors…they have established contact with skilled trades people over years of experience, and…they supervise your project to completion, smoothly and on time
- Because a professional will save you countless hours of shopping, after all… they have access to a wide range of domestic and foreign resources
- Because they can help you define and enhance your own distinctive style
- Because interior designers can make the most of what you have and do the required research to find what you need
- Because they are trained to make the most of available spaces and to create the traffic patterns and furniture arrangements that make daily living functional, safe, comfortable and easy
Didn’t find the answer?
Then let us help you! Reach out to us and we’ll answer any questions you may have. Simply fill out the form below. Thank you!